What Is It?
A nonprofit that “works to protect greenspace for its conservation and recreational benefits, enhance wildlife habitat, restore tallgrass prairie and wetlands, sponsor scientific research, and offer public programming and activities.”
Work at the Indiangrass Preserve (remove invasive species, plant native grasses and other plants, work in plant nursery, collect or package seeds, help maintain trails, and more) or help grow plants at home. Please contact the Conservancy for COVID-related updates.
Minimum Age to Volunteer
16, to volunteer independently. Volunteers age 12 and up are welcome when accompanied by a responsible adult.
Varies. On the regular Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday workdays, volunteer hours are 9 AM-1 PM, but volunteers don’t have to stay the whole time.
Suitable for Groups of Volunteers?
None. The Conservancy will provide instructions.
Volunteers must register at http://www.katyprairie.org/
Help collect seeds of native prairie plants for use in the Coastal Prairie Seed Increase Program, restoration projects, city pocket prairies, and the Great Grow Out. Collectors are welcome to take some seeds home to grow or share with friends; volunteers collecting for other organizations are also welcome. On several days in September and October. No experience necessary.
“GREAT GROW OUT” PROGRAM
Volunteer growers are given packets of locally collected prairie seeds and asked to grow these plants in pots. Plants are then returned to KPC and staff nurture the plants until they are ready to be planted. Seed packing parties, seed collecting field trips, and nursery volunteer days are also an important part of this program. This program helps KPC grow over 10,000 plants annually for use in the Prairie Builder Schools + Parks program, in KPC restoration sites, and to support other restoration efforts in the region.
KATY PRAIRIE CONSERVANCY
Waller, Texas 77484
Waller, Texas 77484
- From Houston, take I‑10 west past Katy.
- Take Exit 737 and turn right (north) on Pederson Road.
- After about 1/2 mile, Pederson ends at US Highway 90 (90 isn’t marked); turn left (west) onto Hwy 90.
- After roughly 1/2 mile on Highway 90, turn right onto FM 2855.
- After 6 miles on 2855 you will come to a Stop sign at FM 529. Cross 529 and you now will be on Morrison Road.
- After 1 mile, Morrison will turn left. After 1 more mile, at a Stop sign, turn right (north) onto Pattison Road (Pattison isn’t marked here).
- After 3 miles, Pattison ends at a Stop sign at Hebert Rd; turn left (west) onto Hebert.
- Drive 1 mile to the Indiangrass Preserve (Field Office) entrance road on the left (south) side of Hebert, just before Penick Road heads north (right). Look for the Katy Prairie Conservancy field office sign.
- Turn in and drive about 0.3 mile to the building
The Houston office is at 5615 Kirby Drive, Suite 867, Houston, TX 77005.
Katy Prairie Conservancy (2019) (2 minutes 4 seconds)
Houston Prairies – On the Rise (2016) (3 minutes 8 seconds)